Electricity information and resources
Understanding your bill
Electricity bills can be complicated. We have compiled an easy guide and provided some quick links.
Understanding a high bill
A guide to help you understand the possible reasons for a bill that is higher than expected.
Payment assistance for bills
Need to work out a payment arrangement or get advice as to what may be available to you? This guide can help.
Understanding your meter
Here's a guide to reading your meter, locating your meter number and identifying high usage.
How to check your usage
You may want to monitor your usage, especially if you receive a high bill. This link shows you how.
Marketing by retailers
Retailers are limited by legislation as to how and when they may contact you. Know your rights!
Choosing a retailer
There are many important things to consider when choosing a retailer. Here are some tips!
Choosing a contract
Prices, discounts, exit fees... make sure you know what you are agreeing to when you accept a contract.
Connecting your electricity
Information on how to arrange the smooth connection of your electricity supply at an existing property.
Connecting at a new property
Moving into a new house? This quick-start guide will help with new connections.
Here are some steps you can take to avoid disconnection of your electricity supply.
What to do if disconnected
You may find your electricity supply disconnected for a number of reasons. Here's some advice on what to do.
Examples of previous complaints and their outcomes.
Downloadable fact sheets are available, providing further information on many energy and water related topics.
Complaint handling guide
Making a complaint can be stressful and frustrating, but with some simple tips you may resolve your issue sooner.
Submit a complaint
If you have been unable to resolve your dispute directly with the retailer or distributor, you can contact our office.
- Choosing a retailer (492 KB)
- Marketing styles (483 KB)
- Energy contracts explained (551 KB)
- Getting connected (486 KB)
- Getting connected: New properties (404 KB)
- Multi language (1,244 KB)
- Meters explained (1,113 KB)
- Higher bills explained (484 KB)
- Payment assistance (477 KB)
- Avoid disconnection (482 KB)
- Handling a complaint (485 KB)
- Measure electrical usage (588 KB)
Australian Energy Regulator
- website: www.aer.gov.au
- phone: 1300 585 165
Consumer and Business Services
- website: www.cbs.sa.gov.au
- phone: 131 882
Office of the Technical Regulator
- website: http://www.sa.gov.au/directories/government/other-state-bodies/office-of-the-technical-regulator
- phone: 8266 5500 (electrical and gas)
- phone: 1300 760 311 (plumbing)
- Incorrect application of solar (PV) readings
- No access to meter, customer back-billed $42,000
- High bill due to tariff change
- Feed-in tariff eligibility
- Contract issues
- Default listing
- High bill due to seasonal usage
- High bill due to faulty meter
- High bill due to solar (PV) operating with analogue meter
- High bill due to fault with solar (PV) system
- Retailer failed to issue bills
- Transfer cooling off paperwork not received
- Customer did not consent to transfer