Debt collection and credit default listing

If you have energy or water debt which is over 60 days overdue, your supplier may report it to a credit reporting body such as "Experian", "Equifax" or "Dun & Bradstreet". Future applications for credit might be rejected due to the default listing on your credit file. Your supplier is required to complete several steps before a default is reported to a credit reporting body.

Your energy or water supplier may also sell your debt to a debt collector. Debt collectors are required to follow certain rules required by law when pursuing debt. For example, they can only contact you at certain times and cannot use physical force or coercion, harass, mislead or take unfair advantage of any vulnerability (such as a disability).

If you would like to make a complaint against a supplier about debt collection and credit default listing, please contact your supplier in the first instance. If you have not resolved your issue after contacting your supplier, please lodge a complaint online by clicking here, or call us between 8.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday on free call 1800 665 565.

Please note call charges may apply on mobile phones. If you are calling from a mobile, let us know and we can call you back.